Do you struggle with loose skin or a "pooch" in your stomach area? Have you been considering a tummy tuck procedure but are unsure what you may need? A tummy tuck is a body contouring procedure that can reshape a person's midsection. Everyone's body changes over time, but some areas change more than others. Pregnancy, weight loss, and the natural process of aging are a few reasons why individuals may not have a tight, slim abdominal area. If you exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet but need a little help in your midsection, a tummy tuck could be the cosmetic solution for you.
Dr. Marisa Lawrence and her staff welcome the opportunity to help both women and men achieve their aesthetic goals. Dr. Lawrence is a double board-certified and fellowship-trained plastic surgeon, as well as the founder of Marisa Lawrence Plastic Surgery in Atlanta, GA. Dr. Lawrence provides three different tummy tuck options to her patients so they can reshape their midsection. Here is an in-depth look at each one and how Dr. Lawrence can help.
The three most common types of tummy tucks
A tummy tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, is an excellent procedure for men and women who need help with excess fatty tissue and skin around the abdomen. Here is a breakdown of the three most common types of tummy tucks.
- Traditional abdominoplasty: A full or traditional tummy tuck is the most common procedure that concentrates on toning and reshaping the lower abdominal area. It is a popular option for women who have gone through pregnancy or had multiple babies (twins, triplets, etc.). An incision is made below the belly button, usually spanning hip to hip, to optimize the removal of excess fatty tissue or skin. The lower abdominal area is then further contoured with liposuction if necessary, to look flatter or more sculpted. During this procedure, the underlying abdominal wall is reshaped, allowing the abdominal muscles to be tightened at the same time. The belly button can also be repositioned, if necessary, so the results look more natural and symmetrical.
- Mini abdominoplasty: A mini tummy tuck can provide the same great results as a full tummy tuck but is ideal for patients who need a small amount of loose skin or excess fat removed below their belly button. A mini tummy tuck involves a smaller incision above the pubic area, and it doesn't involve the belly button being repositioned like with a full tummy tuck.
- Extended abdominoplasty: An extended tummy tuck was developed to help patients with a more significant amount of fatty tissue or loose skin. These patients are dealing with excess fat and sagging skin in their lower abdominal area that extends to their lower back or hip area. With a longer incision made above the pubic area, it spans the width of the abdomen and extends back to each hip to remove excess fatty tissue and skin. The lower abdominal area is then further contoured with liposuction to achieve a flatter, more toned appearance. The underlying abdominal wall is reshaped, allowing the abdominal muscles to be tightened at the same time. The belly button is also repositioned with an extended tummy tuck, to give patients a more symmetrical, natural look to their stomach area. Due to this procedure being more invasive, it may require that patients stay overnight before going home to recover.
The unexpected perks of a tummy tuck
In some cases, diet and exercise are all a person may need to get their abdominal area back into shape. However, if reshaping your midsection involves loose, sagging skin, distended abdominal muscles due to pregnancy, or small pockets of stubborn fat, a tummy tuck procedure can help. There are even some unexpected benefits:
- A tummy tuck can increase exercise tolerance by removing excess skin and tightening underlying abdominal muscles, making it easier for patients to maintain an active lifestyle
- Hernia repair and a tummy tuck can be performed at the same time if needed, giving patients one recovery period
- Strong core muscles keep your pelvis and spine in a neutral position, which aids in a healthier lower back. A tummy tuck procedure can tighten underlying abdominal muscles, giving patients stronger core muscles and reducing the risk of lower back problems
Who should consider a tummy tuck?
A tummy tuck is not a weight-loss solution for patients in the Atlanta area. Abdominoplasty procedures are ideal for healthy individuals who have good skin laxity but are unhappy with the appearance of their midsection. A tummy tuck procedure can incorporate liposuction to create a tighter, flatter stomach when traditional methods of diet and exercise are not working. After a thorough consultation and exam, Dr. Lawrence will determine which tummy tuck technique can give the patient optimal results.
If you have additional tummy tuck questions or want to inquire about other surgical or nonsurgical procedures that Dr. Lawrence provides, please call Marisa Lawrence Plastic Surgery today. When you schedule a consultation with Dr. Marisa Lawrence at our Atlanta office, you can begin your journey to a better you.