After pregnancy and childbirth, many women are ready to get back to feeling and looking like their old selves. A mommy makeover is a cosmetic solution designed to help moms address the common effects of childbearing and breastfeeding and restore her body to its pre-pregnancy appearance. Dr. Marisa Lawrence of Marisa Lawrence Plastic Surgery is a dual board-certified and fellowship-trained plastic surgeon. She has helped numerous women who have experienced physical changes such as droopy or sagging breasts, loose abdominal muscles, and stubborn fat on the waist and hips.
Mommy makeover surgery can be customized to fit each mom’s unique needs. For instance, women may choose a breast lift or augmentation, liposuction, tummy tuck, or a combination of treatments based on their aesthetic goals. This also means that the recovery process is different for each patient. At Marisa Lawrence Plastic Surgery in Atlanta, GA, we guide patients through the mommy makeover process to make sure they know what to expect. Read below for a general mommy makeover recovery timeline so you can plan ahead for optimal recovery.
Procedures included in a mommy makeover
Recovery from a mommy makeover is affected by the procedures chosen during your one-on-one consultation and your preparation for surgery. Dr. Marisa Lawrence will listen to your cosmetic goals and take a detailed medical history before making her recommendations. When a healthy diet and frequent exercise aren’t providing the desired results, one surgery or a combination of procedures can help moms get their bodies in tip-top shape.
Breast augmentation and breast lift
Pregnancy and breastfeeding change the size and shape of the breasts, and may leave them with a drooping appearance and diminished volume. Breast augmentation can increase the volume of your breasts, and a breast lift can move the breasts to a higher, more balanced position on the chest.
For some women, their breasts increase in size after pregnancy. If you do not intend to have more children, a breast reduction can relieve some of the additional weight and restore the position of your breasts. A breast lift is almost always included to reposition the nipple and areola upward. Following breast reduction, women may notice a decrease in neck and back pain caused by heavy breasts.
This procedure can remove excess fatty tissue from the abdomen, buttocks, hips, thighs, and other target areas to create a more contoured appearance. For women undergoing a tummy tuck, liposuction is usually added so patients can achieve smoother results.
Excess skin and fat in the abdomen can be eliminated while tightening loose abdominal muscles caused by pregnancy and childbirth. The result is a flatter stomach that looks great in a swimsuit or your favorite clothes.
Mommy makeover aftercare
After creating your personalized mommy makeover plan in Atlanta, GA, Dr. Marisa Lawrence will discuss your aftercare. This includes anticipated recovery time and tips for home care. At our facility, we believe the critical factor in successful healing is patience. Following cosmetic surgery, recovery takes time before you feel like your old self. Our staff will also advise you about any medications or supplements you should stop taking before surgery, as they may cause increased bleeding or bruising. Other medications might be recommended to improve your overall health. Patients will be asked to stop smoking if they are tobacco users. Active smokers are subject to risks such as infection that can prevent the body from healing.
Here is a general timeline to reference while making your decision to undergo a mommy makeover. It is important to note that every patient recovers at a different rate.
- During the first 24 – 72 hours after surgery, it is advised that you take your prescribed pain medication. Depending on the type of procedures you received, you may be able to switch to Extra-Strength Tylenol® during the 72-hour post-surgery period. It is essential to avoid taking aspirin, Advil, and other nonsteroidal pain medications during this time.
- At your follow-up appointment with Dr. Lawrence, she will let you know when you may return to work. Most patients can resume work within 5 – 10 days.
- Stitches are typically removed roughly 6 – 8 days following surgery. The doctor will provide further details specific to your care.
- With Dr. Lawrence’s clearance, light walking may be resumed after one week, with regular workout routines six weeks following surgery.
- Residual bruising can last for 1 – 3 weeks.
- Patients who undergo liposuction with their mommy makeover procedure will experience some sensitivity, tenderness, and numbness for approximately 1 – 3 weeks.
- Breast augmentation patients will experience sensitivity in the area for 2 – 3 weeks.
- Swelling reduction takes time, so it is best to anticipate 2 – 8 weeks for improved results.
- Swimming is to be avoided for three weeks following surgery.
- Compression garments should be worn according to the instructions given for postoperative care.
- Included in your recovery instructions, Dr. Lawrence will discuss when and how to start scar care, so your sutures will heal flat and eventually fade.
Communication is key
It is important to note that this mommy makeover timeline is simply a generalized guideline and will vary depending on each person’s surgical and healing process. Recovery instructions will include detailed information that is relevant to your specific treatment plan. Follow-up appointments with Dr. Lawrence are crucial so your progress may be monitored.
Are you ready for your mommy makeover?
If you'd like to learn more about mommy makeover surgery and other body contouring procedures, we encourage you to contact Dr. Marisa Lawrence at Marisa Lawrence Plastic Surgery in Atlanta, GA. Our office features state-of-the-art cosmetic surgical techniques to ensure that procedures are safe, effective, and long-lasting. During your consultation, we will formulate a customized mommy makeover plan so you can have your pre-pregnancy body back. Contact us today to schedule your appointment.